Sunday 25 March 2012

There's Always The Sun

Always... ALWAYS! :(

Spring has sprung.  The clocks have gone forward.  Its that time of the year when I start to think reluctantly about packing away the opaques and buffing up my legs ready to show the world again, gah!

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I HATE SUMMER.  I hate the sticky heat, the light pouring into the bedroom at 4am, the compulsion to be seen to be enjoying yourself at any cost, i.e.,  Quick Madge there's a patch of grass, get the picnic blanket and some strawberries quick smart or SOMEONE MIGHT DIE!  I hate the jaunty summer tunes blasting out of car windows when all I want to do is listen to Bauhaus and The Sisters of Mercy in my candle lit bedroom!

I appreciate I may be in a minority here but I've always felt the same way.  Well, since I left school and the 6 week holiday became a thing of the past.  Besides, we just haven't had enough winter.  Autumn is without doubt my favourite season but the last few years in Blighty we seem to have skipped this altogether in favour of an elongated sticky faux summer that lasts up until November/December then suddenly switches to freezing cold for a few weeks.  No sooner has the year begun then we're back to thinking about Spring again.

OK I know we're barely into the new season but the countdown has begun.  Plus I've just lost an hours sleep so I'm grumpy.

Yesterday I took down my case of summer clothes that it seems I only packed away a few months ago.  There was a tiny glimmer of excitement, but only a teeny tiny one 

 
OK, I like these dresses.


Quite like these skirts too


Swallows and stripes forever


  

Nope.  Sorry its just not enough.  I'm still firmly anti-summer. 

Its the turn of my velvets, tweeds and most of my woollens to go into storage.  Maybe a little prematurely but that's me, ever the pessimist!

The only kind of 'Summer Anthem' I can tolerate



What's your favourite season?  Are there any anti-summer people out there or am I the only one? (Don't gang up on me)

xx

15 comments:

  1. Well, I'm in Australia, so I suspect that your summer is quite different to mine... I love daylight saving, I love the long days and sunny evenings, sea breezes and beautiful sunsets. I love wearing tshirts and summer frocks and flowy skirts and sandals... but I hate the heat and the sticky, sweaty, humidity. A beautiful, sunny 25 - 30 degree day is perfection to me.

    Now, that blue floral frock looks AWFUL - I think you should send it to me to help you get rid of it.

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't envy the Australian summer but you know how British people just love to moan about the weather! xx

      Delete
  2. I'm not that keen on summer either, I don't cope very well with heat and being hot and flustered! that said I am looking forward to wearing my 70s skirts and dresses again but I expect after a month I'll be sick off it and will want to be wearing tights and velvet again and wrapping up in my fur coats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you hate summer when you've got all those gorgeous things to wear? There's cider, which always tastes better in the sun, music festivals, car boot sales, sitting in the beer garden on a Sunday afternoon, reading a book in the garden, being able to go outside and cut fresh rocket and basil and tomatoes for lunch, sandals, no coats or tights......have I convinced you yet? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never up early enough for car boot sales and I don't have a garden:( otherwise I might just agree with you on those 2 aspects!! xx

      Delete
  4. I do love Summer,but find I can't handle the heat as well as I used to! Bieng Australian born,I used ot find NZ a little cold,but after 20+ years here,I think I have finally acclimatised! All the seasons in NZ are pretty good,really.It rarely gets too hot,and rarely gets too cold! I don't like the depths of Winter,though,as I'm not fond of wearing woolly hats!
    Now,I rather like those frocks and skirts and am squeeeing a little over that tooled leather handbag,so I fully expect to see you prancing around with those,just a bit,for me!!!
    The best thing about Summer is gin and tonic!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also adore summer but I totally agree with your seen to having fun sentiment... quick let's head to the park and show off doing poi and playing a guitar because we can't think of anything better to do and that's what everyone else we know is doing.... they just go to be seen, that's not my thing at all. Plus I get evil hayfever and though I love being outdoor it doesn't love me back. And summer tunes? I love them, but not the ones Radio 1 and other trendy type stations play.

    You have some gorgeous clothes to wear whilst feeling pissed off about it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you are anti summer? ;) i so long for summer, i´m already wearing summer stuff in midwinter but well then in middle of the summer i can´t wait to wear boots and velvet again, it´s always the same, never satisfied with what i got haha and you have some serious fabulous dresses and skirts there!
      kiss,mary

      Delete
  6. I remember feeling horrendously hot and oppressed in a few UK summers (we were in London.. it was HIDEOUS) .. the thing about Summer is that you need SPACE and water (ie beaches, stony rivers) trees and barbeques in order to enjoy it. LOTS of shade and yummy things to drink. I'm an iced tea girl myself. Downside to summer over here in NZ = flies and mosquitoes, chaffing and sunburn.. and I am NOT a fan of being very very hot at all. My fav seasons are Autumn and Spring. Love the cold/cool nights and mornings and the pleasant sun shiney days, with mild temperatures. Not moaning though.. nothing lasts forever - and you've got to have the bits you don't like in order to totally love the bits you do! Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the problem in this country. We're so small and surrounded by water so the heat is always humid and sticky. I remember being in Berlin during the summer a few years ago and it was very hot but so much easier to cope with x

      Delete
  7. I'm with you all the way. I despise summer unless I'm in the ocean which doesn't happen very often. I adore winter. I love layering, wearing coats, tights & boots. My hair works better in winter. My skin looks better in winter. I hate shiny faces, sweaty bodies & frizzy hair that comes with summer. I love dark gloomy days, the summer sun seems to piss me off! A cold, dark & even rainy day is my idea of paradise! Kind of weird but I love it! Xx Looking forward to seeing you in some of those frocks, & I do love that tan bag as well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm not the only one. I don't mind sunshine but just not for too long and definitely not combined with heat! xx

      Delete
  8. Oh I'm such a summer girl. I think it's because I am always cold though....seriously, it can be 75 F degrees out and I don't mind wearing long sleeves. Weird, right? I always wanted to be one of those people that loved and could enjoy winter though. The cold is so bone chillingly uncomfortable to me...but I will say, there's nothing I love more than a good pair of tights. So as the warm weather comes, I am pretty sad to tuck them away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer spring and autumn - but they seem to be getting shorter and shorter each year!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love each season as it comes, I find it a chore to pin all my hopes on just the one, as you can't enjoy all the lovely bits of the rest.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Ah, thank you for commenting. You've made my day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...